The Future Digital Work Force: Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
Mar 26, 2021
We are living in the digital era, where nothing is definite. Hence, to succeed in this age of uncertainty, innovations, and experimentation is required. As Covid-19 has single-handedly shifted the entire workforce of every business to a virtual workspace, it is safe to say that the future workforces too will be digital. With everyone cheering on the work-from-home concept, the future will hold more automated work environments and advanced technologies. With a combination of networking, automation, hardware, and software, robotic process automation is at the frontline of future technologies. Let’s learn more about it.
A- What is Robotic Process Automation?
Robotic Process Automation (RPA) involves creating software robots that learn, mimic, and carry out human actions in a digital setting to execute business processes. It is an easy-to-use technology through which you can configure a “bot” or computer software to automate tasks and mimic human interactions with various applications.
Robotic process automation is effectively governed by well-structured inputs and business logic. While a “bot” can do everything humans do in these processes, the difference lies in the speed, accuracy, working hours, and efficiency. Automation at this scale saves up a lot of time for executives to invest their efforts in high-level, revenue-generating tasks and other core competencies.
Let’s understand more by looking at the benefits of robotic process automation.
B- How is Robotic Process Automation beneficial for work?
- Accurate: Accuracy is the first and foremost benefit of RPA. While automation generally may be prone to errors, RPA ensures that there are minimal errors in the processes, while working on uniformity as well.
- Consistent: Robotic process automation works consistently. Routine tasks are performed similarly, systematically, and efficiently every time.
- Compliant: Robotic process automation makes sure that all processes adhere to the required regulatory compliances. You don’t have to worry about the loopholes as it leaves an audit trail so that you are aware of everything that’s being covered.
- Non-Invasive: RPA does not allow any disturbances or interferences from the underlying legacy applications. Hence, all tasks are performed efficiently and because constant monitoring is not required, the workload on your IT team reduces significantly as well.
- Productive: Manual proceedings take longer time-frames to complete tasks as compared to automated procedures. With robotic process automation, productivity increases as your processes can continue around the clock, faster than what your team would do manually and with increased accuracy.
- Reliability: Reliability is a very significant benefit of robotic process automation. With any technology, one of the main concerns is how reliable it is. With RPA, reliability is a given as the bot is going to just mimic your interactions with systems, working on it continuously without any interruptions. Hence, you can rely on it completely. There are no conventional operational models for robotic process automation. However, various operations can be undertaken with RPA by automating tasks that are highly prone to errors and mostly human labour-intensive.
Some of these operations may include:
- Plausible Transformations: Business transformation is highly possible with robotic process automation. While drastically improving efficiency, reliability, and cost-effectiveness, businesses can be sure that investing in RPA will lead to a highly stable and sustainable digital workforce. It minimizes costs, errors, and loopholes, leading to plausible transformations in the work culture along with increased revenue generation.
- Migration of Data: All businesses generate massive amounts of data and content, especially through their legacy systems. A lot of human effort and time is invested to collect, analyze and integrate this data to engender actionable insights. Such complicated routine operations lead to wastage of executives’ time which should be invested in other critical tasks. With robotic process automation, you can accelerate this procedure, conduct it routinely and migrate data from legacy systems while integrating it to provide useful insights with much-reduced efforts.
Robotic process automation is being considered as the new digital workforce of the future and maybe even the avant-garde of future technologies. As businesses realize their potential, the RPA market is expected to grow significantly, up to USD 2.9 billion this year(Forrester). Hence, it is safe to say that it is here to stay for a long time and is the ultimate future digital workforce.